March 18, 2018, 06:45:13 PM

Author Topic: Spam Prevention Tip: Don't put your e-mail address in posts  (Read 3400 times)

Bill Warner

• Administrator
  • "Virtue, Liberty, and Independence"
    • Amberleigh Village
Here is a forum usage tip to help prevent you from getting additional spam:

Don't put your e-mail address in messages that you post in the forums!

Spammers use automated programs to routinely scan forums like this to harvest e-mail addresses.  To prevent your e-mail address from being harvested in this way, never put your e-mail address in your posts.

Instead, if you want other forum members to be able to safely send e-mail to you, just make sure that the "Allow users to email me" option on your Profile: Account Settings page is checked.  This will enable an e-mail form that allows other forum members to send you e-mail without exposing your e-mail address.

To check or change this setting in your forum profile, choose "Profile: Account Settings" from the drop-down menu near the top of any forum page.  For additional help managing your forum profile, please see the Profile Information page in the SMF online manual.

Also, you can safely add an e-mail address image to a message, or to your signature block, using the Safe Mail service. This free service creates an image from your e-mail address that you can place in your message and it will be safe from most spam harvesters.  Here's how to create and use an e-mail image:
  • Go to
  • Enter your e-mail address in step 1
  • Click the "Create Now" button in step 3
  • Copy & paste the line of code labeled "BB code (without link)" into your message, or into the signature text area on your Profile: Forum Profile Information page
  • That's it!
Your e-mail image will look something like this:

You can see an example of an e-mail address image in use in my signature block below.  The image in my signature was created with an 8pt font size to match the signature text.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:40:08 AM by Bill Warner »
Bill Warner, AV Forum Administrator

Amberleigh Village Homeowners Association, Inc.