April 23, 2018, 09:03:20 PM

Author Topic: ATTENTION: Engine test cells will be built close to our home  (Read 7894 times)

aswaraswar

Caterpillar will  build several engine test cells at Purdue Research park, the location has been chosen – it is very close to our home!!! Only 1/4 miles away. WE need to stop this! Our home value will be lowered, and more importantly there will be lots of emissions all day and all night, CO, CO2 and NOX, harmful to our health. Please raise your voice to protect our home and our health.
http://purdueresearchpark.com/node/1196
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:49:48 PM by Bill Warner »

duan

Re: ATTENTION: Engine test cells will be built close to our home
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
I've called Cynthia Sequin at Purdue research park. The numbers are 765-5883340(office) and 765-4136031(cell phone). I asked her where the facility's exact location will be. She told me it will be the current farm land right on the northwest of Amberleigh Village. It is 1/4 to 1/3 mile north of Kalberer road and west side of Yeager road (the unpaved part) If I understand her correctly. I think It is close to Amberleigh village. The ground work will start in early summer. With running engines burning diesel and gas and strong wind blowing, the air quality around our neighborhood could get worse.

I asked Cynthia: "do you think the facility will be a concern for the residents in vicinity?" She said that is why it is located far away from any residency and out of existing research park area (exact west of Amberleigh Village, right across Yeager Road).

I think we should do our best to express our concern. Please express your opinion in this forum.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:29:09 AM by duan »

duan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »
Bill Warner told me that he had measured the distance from the plant site to AV using the county's GIS mapping system.  The distance to the nearest home
in AV is about 1/3 miles.  The distance to the farthest home is a little
over 2/3 miles.  No part of AV is within 1/4 miles of the plant site. 

The reason I said the distance was 1/4 mile is because the other day I had a phone conversation with Cynthia Sequin
at Purdue research park about the new facility. She mentioned 1/4 to 1/3 mile north of Kalberer road.
But it is possible that misunderstanding happened.
So I correct myself that the distance from the engine test facility to AV is 1/3 to 2/3 mile.

Bill Warner

• Administrator
  • "Virtue, Liberty, and Independence"
    • Amberleigh Village
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
A public meeting has been scheduled so that Amberleigh Village residents can discuss their concerns about the ARPL project with representatives from ARPL, PRF, and the city.  See details here: http://forum.amberleighvillage.org/index.php?topic=112.0
Bill Warner, AV Forum Administrator

Amberleigh Village Homeowners Association, Inc.

aswaraswar

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
Assuming 1g/horsepower/hour NOx is emitted for a test engine, one 2MW engine (large percentage) will emit 2.7kg/hour NOx. With 6 test cells, one shift (say, 8 hours), the facility emits about 128 kg NOx per shift. For bigger engines like the 4 MW engine, the facility emits about 256 kg NOx per shift.

Related data from:
http://catoilandgas.cat.com/cda/files/779111/7/lehw0036-00.pdf (emission: 2g/horsepower/hour)
http://catoilandgas.cat.com/cda/files/778273/7/G3606+-+LEHW0039-02+P1.pdf (emission: 0.7g/horsepower/hour)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:50:20 PM by aswaraswar »

aswaraswar

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
from http://www.epa.gov/air/nitrogenoxides/health.html:

"NOx react with ammonia, moisture, and other compounds to form small particles. These small particles penetrate deeply into sensitive parts of the lungs and can cause or worsen respiratory disease, such as emphysema and bronchitis, and can aggravate existing heart disease, leading to increased hospital admissions and premature death"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:05:38 PM by Bill Warner »

aswaraswar

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
ARPL meeting summary:

For those who could not make to the meeting, here is what I've heard from people who attended the meeting.

1. For the noise, a soundproof isolator will be used.
2. For the emission, ARPL said the emission will be less than their average natural gas engine (1g/horsepower/hour), which I used for the emission calculation. A chimney will be built (anybody remember how tall?)

• no data is provided about the emission. It was said that it is customer secret.
  • no guaranttees on the work hour. ARPL said 20% work load everyday, but then said 24 hours may be possible, depending on customer's request.
  • ARPL did not deny that there will be possible expansion on the facility. More test cells could be built in the future.
Additional information from Sokolchik Irina:
Mr. Anthony Brown , ARPL  Quality Manager, e-mail: [email protected], also said  the following:
  • the initial plan is to burn 100,000 gallons of diesel fuel /year at this facility.
  • Engines will need endurance tests to be tun, so those tests will be run 24/7 w/o stop for weeks.
  • The facility might expand.
Anyone can Google the  major health hazards of diesel fuel combustion.  That is the problem we should worry the most about, noise is the least of  our future troubles.

My personal opinion that only  mass protests or experienced lawyer can help us in this situation. It is not an easy battle to fight. 300,000$ tax deduction has been granted to ARPL already (available data on Google) + PRP needs  money/new business because a lot  of PRP facilities are unoccupied.